Australia Day is always a big celebration in Sun Peaks, with countless staff and guests from the country in town throughout the winter.
But this year the date takes on more meaning as it’s used to fundraise to help with wildfires that have spread across the country.
See below for the ultimate guide to Australia Day festivities in Sun Peaks this weekend.
Friday to Sunday:
- Aussie food specials and $1 from every Pilsner draft donated to relief efforts at Masa’s Bar + Grill
- Pint specials at Morrisey’s Public house with partial proceeds to relief efforts
Saturday and Sunday:
- Rent a ski bike or book a clinic and all proceeds will be donated to relief efforts, visit the Activities Desk in the Village Day Lodge to book
Friday January 24:
- Triple J’s Hottest 100 party at Bottoms Bar & Grill, 5 p.m. to 1 a.m.
Saturday January 25:
- Sausage Sizzle at Masa’s Bar + Grill, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Proceeds matched by Sun Peaks Resort LLP and the Sun Peaks Grand Hotel. Funds go to the Australia Firefighter and Wildlife Funds.
- Cookies for Koalas, a bake sale by the Sun Peaks Beavers and Cubs from 9:30 a.m. at the Village Day Lodge. Funds raised will be donated to the Koala Hospital in Port Macquarie which is receiving and rehabilitating koalas affected by the bushfires.
- Raffle by the Sun Peaks Beavers and Scouts, from 9:30 a.m. at the Village Day Lodge
- Australia Day Party at Masa’s Bar + Grill from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. with DJ Spunlogic. Admission by donation to Australia Firefighter and Wildlife Funds will be matched by Sun Peaks Resort LLP and the Sun Peaks Grand Hotel.
- Cheesymite Scrolls from Cobs for sale at Mantles Restaurant and Masa’s Bar + Grill.
- Tourism Sun Peaks and Sun Peaks resort LLP have donated ski vacation packages to Australian tour operators and to a community in Australia.
- A dedicated phone line has been set up in Guest Services up for Australians in Sun Peaks to reach home in January, costs are covered by Sun Peaks Resort LLP.