True masters of skiing arrived in Sun Peaks to compete in super G, giant slalom and slalom events at the Canadian Masters Alpine Championships over the Easter weekend. This is 10th consecutive year that Sun Peaks has hosted this event.
Whether they’re 19 or 90, the competitors from all over Canada gave it their all. Ninety-year-old Rolf Hauge of Midland, Ont. was the oldest competitor at the Masters who earned two gold medals in the super G and giant slalom events.
Twenty-year-old Emma Beattie from Ontario dominated her female opponents in giant slalom and slalom. Among the men, 55-year-old Gerry Whittaker from Kelowna reaped gold in all three divisions.
This year, the B.C. delegation wasn’t so lucky as the Dave Murray Trophy for the best region went to the Ontario/Quebec team for the first time in five years.
Below is a list of the overall winners for each age category:
- 75-79 – Karl Guenther – Sun Peaks Alpine Club
- 70-74 – Robert Switzer – Whistler Mountain Ski Club
- 65-69 – Michael Houde – Ontario Masters Club
- 60-64 – Peter McGibbon – Quebec Masters Club
- 55-59 – Howard Cole – Ontario Masters Club
- 50-54 Gerry Whittaker Big White Ski Club
- 45-49 Lloyd Sevack Ontario Masters Club
- 40-44 Phillipe Juneau Quebec Masters Club
- 35-40 Andrew Dawson Alberta Masters Club
- 30-34 Jason Barton Alberta Masters Club
- 70-74 Doreen Davenport Craigleith Ski Club
- 65-69 Judi Sheppard Osler Bluff Ski Club
- 60-64 Barbara Walker Quebec Masters Club
- 55-59 Robin Kingsmill Osler Bluff Ski Club
- 50-54 Melanie Roberts Sun Peaks Alpine Club
- 45-49 Mira Sandrik Alberta Masters Club
- 40-44 Kerri-Lynn Houde Ontario Masters Club
- 30-34 Kareen Mamo Quebec Masters Club
- 18-29 Meghan McLeod Sun Peaks Alpine Club
Help us bring you more local news
SPIN has been able to serve Sun Peaks as its sole news source for over 20 years thanks to the overwhelming support of our community. Join over 126 of your neighbours and become a monthly or yearly member so that we can continue to regularly publish the digital newsletters and stories our readers rely on.