Sun Peaks Independent News is seeking a qualified candidate to cover tourism communities in the Thompson Okanagan, starting as soon as possible and going to March 31, 2021. This contract position can be based anywhere in the region, and the majority of the required teamwork, collaboration and editing will take place online.
While tourism based communities may be covered by travel media or others promoting the destinations, a gap exists in regionally based reporting for the residents and workers of these towns. Resort-based and tourism driven towns in the Thompson Okanagan region face similar issues such as the impacts of COVID-19 of on their communities and economies; housing shortages and general affordability; overtourism, environment, sustainability and wildlife issues; Indigenous rights and perspectives; tourism development and infrastructure needs, health care and mental health resources for residents; and support for entrepreneurs, small businesses and Indigenous tourism operators.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A passion to provide readers and communities with meaningful, original and in-depth reporting on issues that matter to residents
- The desire to part of an independent media organization dedicated to serving its communities through investigative, solutions-based, and civic journalism
- An understanding of of the unique elements and tensions that make up mountain towns and tourism communities in the region and the ability to convey these ideas through digital storytelling
- A dedication to serving underrepresented communities and peoples in our region
- The ability to generate five to seven stories a week, as per the Local Journalism Initiative criteria, by working independently with strong time management skills and the ability to meet deadlines
- Knowledge of/experience with CP style, photography, videography, WordPress and social media are also considered strong assets
- The ability to travel and provide own transportation may be required
This is a full time position and is compensated at $4,166 per month. This opportunity is made possible with funding from the Local Journalism Initiative. SPIN is committed to providing equal opportunity employment and a safe workplace for Indigenous people, people of colour, people with a disability and gender non conforming people.
Please send your cover letter, resume and samples of your writing to email@example.com by Friday, June 12.