Employment Opportunity – Journalist
Sun Peaks Independent News – Sun Peaks, B.C.
Sun Peaks Independent News is seeking a qualified journalist to fill a full time position based in Sun Peaks or Kamloops, B.C., starting as soon as possible and running to February 28, 2021. This is a Canada Jobs Grant funded position and as such is restricted to participants from 15 to 30 years of age.
Applicants should have knowledge of Sun Peaks, Kamloops, and the surrounding region, as well as a passion for community news and the outdoors. Topics of coverage will range from arts and entertainment, to sports and outdoor culture, to community features and issues.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A passion to provide readers with meaningful, original and in-depth reporting on issues that matter to residents
- The desire to be part of an independent media organization dedicated to serving its communities through investigative, solutions-based, and civic journalism
- The ability to generate interesting story ideas and convey these narratives through digital storytelling
- A dedication to serving underrepresented communities and peoples in our region
- The ability to work independently with strong time management skills to meet deadlines
- Experience with CP style, copy editing and layout are considered essential skills
- Experience with photography, videography, WordPress and social media are also considered strong assets
- The ability to travel and provide own transportation may be required
This opportunity is made possible with funding from Canada Summer Jobs Grant. SPIN is committed to providing equal opportunity employment and a safe workplace for Indigenous people, people of colour, people with a disability and gender non-conforming people.
Please send your cover letter, resume and samples of your writing to [email protected] by Friday, June 19.